Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Enjoy a Hearty and Healthy Lentils Recipe

Since one of my creative pursuits is inventing and re-inventing recipes,
I thought I would throw one in here.

You will need:
1 bag dry lentil beans (the french green organic lentils are my favorite)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
2 medium or one large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
Teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 box vegetable broth (I use organic)
2 to 3 fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 can organic diced tomatoes

Soak lentils in big bowl of water for 5 to 6 hours in fridge.
Drain.
In large stew pot or dutch oven, add all ingredients above,
and simmer (after bringing at first to a slight boil) on medium to medium low for about an hour,
uncovered at first, then cover to reserve juices, or remove cover to thicken sauce.
Stir every few minutes while cooking.
Great over rice or pasta, or even a baked potato.
Freezes well, we split the pot into several containers, for future meals.
But honestly, most of the time we eat it up so fast that I only have to store leftovers in the
refridgerator for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment